From Home Economics to Family and Consumer Sciences
21st century students must blend the best of their creative, engineering and entrepreneurial skills to thrive in a dynamic, global environment; and Family and Consumer Sciences classes are just the right place to get prepared!
Family and Consumer Sciences is founded on the rich history of the traditional field of Home Economics, and encompasses those foundational curricular elements including:
- Personal Finance & Consumer Economics
- Culinary Food Science, and Nutritional Health & Wellness
- Applied Design in Housing and Interiors
- Education in Child & Family Development
- Textiles and Fashion Merchandising
What we do
We focus on providing low-cost, or no-cost, resources made by teachers and for teachers with topics including:
- Hands-on culinary instruction
- Conscious consumer economics
- … and D.I.Y. design principles.
We connect educators with chefs and extension agents to provide meaningful professional development opportunities.
We work with teachers and parents to create experiential learning opportunities in and outside the classroom.
We provide hands-on support to classrooms by leveraging industry and university partnerships.
We provide educational materials to guide students in learning essential, real-life navigation skills.